Monday, January 5, 2009

Ring around the Roseola

So Ben has his first childhood illness. He had a fever over New Year's and was a bit grumpy but he is also teething and was overtired, so we just chalked it up to that. The fever continued on the rest of the weekend, climbing to 102. Well yesterday he woke up nice and cool, but with little red spots all over his torso. They were smooth so we were not concerned about Scarlet Fever. He didn't seem bothered by them at all. He was happily playing with his new toys from the onslaught we received at Christmas.

So we did a little digging and found a great photo of Roseola at the Baby 411 website.


The Mayo Clinic had a good description of the symptoms and everything seems to fit. Since it was Sunday I had to wait until this morning to call the doctor to just confirm that this internet diagnosis seemed correct. I guess most kids get this by the time they are one year old, so I guess he was due. He still had the rash today but he was fine. The doctor said that once he has the rash, he is not contaigious anymore. I'm just glad if he had to get sick, he didn't have anything really bad and did not seem to feel sick at all.

No comments: