Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Stop trying to make leprechaun visits happen!

Can we just all agree that this is unnecessary?




This "tradition" of having leprechauns leave chocolate coins and make messy green footprints all over the house the night before St. Patrick's Day started last year among my Facebook community. This year there are even more people participating, and I can only imagine that if it's not stopped NOW, this disease will spread to epidemic proportions in the next few years. By the time my youngest is in preschool we will be expected to set traps and catch a dozen leprechauns, with photographic evidence.
We already have Santa, the Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy. I grew up with these traditions, and while I won't go overboard with them, I don't mind doing them.
I have always thought if you have to push it on your kids and give them multiple types of evidence that Santa et al exist, you are trying too hard, and instead of creating more reasons for them to believe, you should just trust that they are ready to learn the truth when the are old enough to figure it out.
If you want to wear green on St. Patrick's Day, go to a parade, cook a special Irish meal, listen to Irish music and watch some step dancing, this message is not for you.
But I have a problem with these kind of manufactured traditions. Do we really need our kids to think a magical creature visits and leaves gifts for every single holiday? What's next? Cupid visits on Valentine's Day and leaves candy hearts? Uncle Sam visits on 4th of July and drops off copies of the constitution? Our kids don't need more excuses for presents and candy. They are already spoiled enough, and my house is already full of enough toys. Let's instead teach them a little about Ireland, and if you are Christian, about St. Patrick.
If you are one of those moms who leaves green footprints around the house, don't take offense. Just make sure your kid doesn't tell my kids!

No comments: